The Cycle that Hair Takes to GrowLet’s get scientific and we don’t mean to make you crazy explaining the 3 phases that we learned on natural hair growth. Here are the three hair cycles:
- Anagen: This is growth phase and can last 1 to 10 years, but is 4 to 7 year on average. According to The Science of Black Hair, 88% of the hairs on your head are in the anagen phase at any one time.
- Catagen: Also known as resting phase it lasts anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months; 1% of the hairs on your head are currently in this phase.
- Telogen: About 11% of the hairs on your head are currently in the telogen (shedding) phase.
Causes of excessive shedding can be:
1) hormonal during period shedding can increase
2) hair products
4) poly cystic ovarian syndrome
5) iron deficiency
6) styling methods that place stress on the follicles
7) birth control/menstrual cycles/menopause
9) heredity (runs in the family)
10) crash dieting/ low protein diets, poor diet
11) illnesses with high fever as a prevailing symptom
12) anemia, thyroid disorders, and a host of other chronic disorders
13) certain medications and major surgeries and treatments like chemotherapy
14) alopecia areata
15) skin disorders such as lupus and lichen planus
16) close to relaxer time
16) close to relaxer time
Sometimes you may not be able to pinpoint the cause of your shedding that you can simply reverse it or wait until your period passes. In such cases you can treatments that will reduce the shedding.
Three remedies for Shedding
1) Garlic Olive oilHow it Works: Garlic is rich in compounds like Allicin, Sulphur, Zinc and Calcium that have health benefits, beauty benefits as well as antibiotic and anti fungal properties. The allicin in garlic helps in increasing blood circulation in the scalp which in turn reduces hair fall and helps in stimulating hair growth
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- a bottle
- conditioner of your choice
Directions: Cut or crush 5 cloves and place them into the bottle then pour the oil into the bottle and let it sit in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. On your wash day, strain the oil out into your prepoo conditioner, add this mixture to your hair ,cover with plastic cap and for 30 minutes. Then wash and deep condition as per normal.
The effects of this treatment can be felt right away, your hair is softer , greater shine and more manageable with added benefit of decreased shedding. Alot of people are concerned about the smell but the shampoo washes that right out, so you wont smell like garlic at all. This is my favorite treatment.
2)Black Tea RinseHow it Works: Black tea contains more caffeine than a cup of coffee. The caffeine blocks DHT, the hormone that is responsible for hair loss.
- Lipton Tea
- 2 cups of water
Pour the water into a pot and place 5 tea bags bring to a boil and then allow to cool. Prepoo, shampoo your hair as per normal.
Optional Step:After shampooing your hair , rinse your hair with a cheap conditioner such as a vo5 conditioner. I do this because black tea rinses make my hair hard and sometimes tangles i noticed that adding moisture back into my hair before adding it solves this issue.
So after shampooing, pour the black tea all over your head, and cover with a plastic cap for 30 minutes. When 30 minutes is up (do not rinse the tea out) apply your moisturizing deep conditioner to your hair and deep condition as per normal.
Along with decreased shedding,this treatment adds strenght and shine to your hair, also it darkens the hair colour. You will see a difference after doing one treatment but i noticed that after 3 treatments is when you really get the shedding under control.
3)Carrot JuiceHow it Works: Carrot contain carotene, a chemical that is converted into vitamin A by the body, this veggie can improve the appearance of the skin, hair and nails and it does a whole host of good when taken internally. Externally, it is still wondrous as it can be added to your favourite deep conditioner as a way to give your hair an extra boost of nutrients.
Materials: 1 Carrot
Directions: Take your carrot and put it in a juicer. now you can do 2 things with carrot juice, you can drink it everyday or what i did was add it to my deep conditioner.
I found this to be very effective also, and made my hair very,very soft.
Please feel free to post your experiences or other shedding remedies below.